Sunday, May 15, 2016

gravity.

[i got well
at the end of my last spell,
hiding out in lecture halls,
until tenured.
after this startling display,
a dazzling tour de force,
a brave dyslexic read,
bathing in quicksand with bated breaths
behind drowning gills.
as long as we haven't become what we
most dislike,
there's no better direction to go than forward.
come on. ]

i know, i know. timing is everything.
but, look at you. 
chances are you'll read this,
and your mind won't have changed.
just know that i might know nothing,
but I know nothing
felt quite so right
than skipping the slurs to shake you.
and i know, i know, it's strange, but i won't 
change my tune.
so don't change yours.
i've got tremors just to 
shake these curses
just like we rehearsed, 
at the turn of the century.
i won't,
if you won't.
just don't change your tune.


i know, i know
i falter and i drift away
sort of unceremoniously, and sort of in sync.
my mind and mouth get lost,
so navigate,
navigate me.
pave away the distance,
dissipate these bridges that hang
with this suspense.
take away another strangling season
of silence,
and i won't abandon all hope 
that these
choices, 
these nights
might take away my forever feelings.

just, god damn.
god damn me,
or put me to rest,
against the stunning silence.
in the solace of spring,
i steel myself against the way
you're uninvolved and you,
you lift my anger up in blood,
and tuck it away
into your uniform,
carnivore.
just please
don't change your tune.

when you speak,
you speak only 
in tongues and trembles,
impossible just to 
say something sensible
or walk away;
and wander toward answering how
something so tame could
feel so romantic.
and i'm attuned,
i'm in tune with and
torn by antiqued ideas of matrimony,
when really we're bound by nothing
but this gravity.
just now getting accustomed
to this feeling of falling
before i change my tune.