Friday, December 5, 2014

30/30/30, Part One.


   So, in effort to divert my mind from my traditional mental ramblings here, I have decided on a new project:
I'm going to make 30 lists of 30 things in 30 days. I apologize in advance to you OCD and math-oriented types, I really don't give a fuck that today is the 5th; December has 31 days anyways.

My first list is 30 songs that I think have pretty sweetasss breakdowns. Before you music-theory circlejerk participants get your panties in a bunch, I'm talking about an interlude, a cool bridge, just any sort of break or diversion from the regular structure of the song.
I'm including times for some, where I feel like the overall context of the song is unimportant. Otherwise, you know, listen to the fucking song and nod your head and shit. It's fun.
Here it goes, in no particular order:

  • 18 Visions - Vanity (around the 3:00 mark)
  • Thrice - To Awake and Avenge the Dead (around 2:15)
  • Zao - Free the Three (around 2:38 ... it's strange)
  • Norma Jean - Memphis Will be Laid to Waste (The whole song is a fucking breakdown.)
  • Blood Brothers - Love Rhymes with Hideous Car Wreck (Short enough where you can find it yourself.)
  • Heavy Heavy Low Low - Kids, Kids, Kids (The vocalist is insane, once again, short enough.)
  • Lamb of God - Vigil (Just listen.)
  • Pantera - Great Southern Trendkill (Ho...ly....shit.)
  • Pantera - Domination (Double up here. These are not even my favorite Pantera songs, but shit!)
  • Red Fang - Prehistoric Dog (I don't know what it is about this one. Right at 2:22)
  • The Sword - Chronomancer I: Hubris (Do yourself a favor and check out the whole song before you judge the break. It feeds into an outro and they blend, but who gives a rat fuck?)
  • The Refused - Deadly Rhythm (Serious injustice if you don't give this one a through-listen.)
  • At the Drive-In - Catacombs (Bizarre, visceral, with some kind of easy magical groove.)
  • Chiodos - One Day, All Women Will Become Monsters - (Something about these high-pitched motherfuckers.)
  • Human Abstract - Mea Culpa (Uhm, why did they even bother with the first half of this song?)
  • Deftones - Root (Simple, hard, and tasty.)
  • Faith No More - Just a Man (Okay, maybe it's just fanboyism, but something about Mike Patton carrying out this weird bridge thing just does it. It starts around 3:00)
  • Poison the Well - Nerdy (Haha, this takes me back.)
  • Protest the Hero - (So many time changes, it's hard to pick out, but this one is whimsical as fuck!)
  • HORSE the Band - Murder (Listen through, also whimsical. MURDER)
  • letlive. - homeless jazz (interesting.)
  • Mastodon - The Wolf is Loose (Oh sweet fuck.)
  • Small Brown Bike - My Own Disaster 
  • Minus the Bear - Hey Wanna Throw Up, Get Me Naked
  • Hot Water Music - Jack of All Trades (Goodbye!)
  • Holly Springs Disaster - Showdown
  • Glassjaw - Piano
  • Dillinger Escape Plan - Room full of Eyes
  • Slayer - Raining Blood (Had to pay homage.)
  • Kvelertak - Blodtorst
If you have any cool breakdowns in mind, put them in the comments!